24hr Support Line 0800 6300 443
2 August 2021


What is harassment?

Harassment can be experienced as unwelcome comments; either written, spoken or shown through actions which:

  • Violate an individual’s dignity and/or;
  • Create an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.

Forms of Harassment

Harassment can take many forms:

  • Sexual abuse
  • Physical abuse
  • Verbal abuse
  • In the digital age it can be received via text message, emails, social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter or on gaming sites.

It can happen on its own or alongside other types of harrassment in schools, in the workplace, in your home or even in public spaces.

Harassment can occur for a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to; race, religious belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.

What can I do about it?

Do not be afraid to tell someone – there is no need to suffer in silence.

If you currently work or have worked in the horseracing industry you can contact us for free and fully confidential support.  We are here for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Discussing your problems will make a difference and help you to seek the support you need.

Get Support Now

Racing Welfare’s 24 hour support line enables people to access support and
guidance through digital and telephone options.

Reporting Harassment to the Police

Harassment is a criminal offence. If you are being harassed it can be reported to the police. Every report is taken seriously and could help to stop you, and others, suffering from harassment. Don’t be afraid to report harassment to the police as you will be taken seriously. The police deal with this regularly and can offer you help and support.

When harassment is targeted at you because of your disability, gender identity, race, religion or sexual orientation it is classed as a ‘hate incident’ or ‘hate crime’. What you tell the police will be dealt with sensitively and professionally. If you feel that you or someone else is being harassed in the workplace you can contact:

Citizens Advice Bureau

National Association of Stable Staff


Related Articles